Last year we recorded 1324 earthquakes in the Philippines. 10 of these quakes were dangerous and at least one of them created big damages in Negros.
We identified 3 hot spots where earthquake accumulate:
1. The Subduction Zone in the Philippine Trench off the coast of Surigao
2. Negros Island
3. The Transform Fault in the Manila Trench north of Mindoro Island
This map is also available in interactive form, where you can zoom in and get data of all quakes.
And some interesting statistical data:
Every day the earth shakes about 3.6 times in the Philippines
896 earthquakes could be felt by people living in the region
97 quakes were at or near the earth’s surface. This means not deeper than 1000 m
1096 earthquakes were of shallow focus, less than 70 km deep
12 earthquakes were of deep focus, more than 300 km deep
We have already started the 2013 recording. It is here!
- March 9, 2012 Already 333 Earthquakes since January 1st, 2012 The underground in the Philippines is moving. There are currently 4 regions that experience nearly daily earthquakes: Negros, Mindoro, […]
- March 6, 2012 Strong Earthquake in Masbate A 5.2 magnitude earthquake jolted the provinces of Masbate, Albay and Sorsogon this morning at 07:06 morning.
The earthquake of tectonic […]
- February 7, 2012 The Earth continues to shake in Negros The earth still shakes in Negros and the southern Visayas. Most of the aftershocks can be felt even in northern Mindanao (Camiguin).
- February 6, 2012 A swarm of heavy Earthquakes shakes the Central Philippines As reported earlier, a swarm of heavy earthquakes with magnitudes 6.9 hits the central Philippines today. The epicenters of the […]
- February 6, 2012 Again Magnitude 6.2 Earthquake in Negros (Philippines) Since this morning the earth shakes between Negros and Cebu Island in the Philippines. Affter a heavy initial shock of magnitude 6.9 […]