Do you remember this song of Deep Purple? It was a homage to Claude Nobs, founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival. Claude died last night.
Claude Nobs earned the mention as “Funky Claude” who rescues children in Deep Purple’s 1973 song Smoke On The Water. The song is about a fire that burned down the Montreux Casino, where the festival was held, during a Frank Zappa concert in 1971.
Claude founded the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1967. The festival became a fixed point in my yearly agenda. In July I always had been in Montreux. Where else could you hear, sea and even meet artists such as Miles Davis and Carlos Santana, Keith Jarrett and Frank Zappa. And many, many others.
Rest in peace, Claude. We are missing you.
- February 12, 2017 Tripadvisor War – Trolls or Vengeance? Tripadvisor War hurts hospitality business Camiguin Island (and probably elsewhere). Fake accounts post fake reviews on Tripadvisor.
- March 21, 2012 Jesus Christ? – maybe!
The Archdiocese of Cebu has warned the public against individuals who are trying to make money by putting up alleged miracles and […]
- December 6, 2012 Jazz Legend Dave Brubeck has left us – let’s swing him up! "Take five" took its last way!
Good bye Dave. We had so funny nights together in lower East-Side.
Thank you Dave, your music makes me […]
- March 2, 2019 Camiguin News – Camiguin is booming! 2019 Surprises
Camiguin News - The good ones first
#1 - Skyjet
After their first flight to Camiguin in December 2017, Skyjet now officially […]
- May 5, 2015 NAIA-3 WARNING NAIA Expressway worsens traffic around airport
Traffic around the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has […]