Weather got much better today. Only a short rain in the morning and then dry. The waves are moderate and there is only one cloud layer left. The perfect weather for fishing.
Our neighbor fisherman with a makeshift petroleum lantern. He told me that tonight he has only fuel for 6 hours – then he will come back and sleep.
Fitting of the lanterns on the wooden boat. The lampshades have either mirrors inside or they are made of polished steel to concentrate the light downwards.
A last push and the party is ready. Sky and sea approach with the same shades of grey.
The boats are out in the sea. Tonight again we’ll see a string of pearls on the horizon. In some nights over 50 boats are off our shore and their lamps are aligned.
This is what makes the Philippines and particularly Camiguin so wonderful. We live with the people here, we share our lives, we learn from them and they copy from us. Tomorrow morning I’ll go to the beach and buy tomorrow’s lunch and maybe also dinner fresh from the sea.
What do you need more to be happy? Especially after this long rain.
- August 9, 2013 Gone fishing ! Weather here in the south is still quiet good. A small crescent moon is soon to set and a dark night without wind to expect. The perfect […]
- January 24, 2017 Camiguin Status Update January 24, 2017 Camiguin Status Update: On January 24,2017 weather is still unstable, the sea is sometimes very rough and power is sometimes […]
- December 17, 2011 Tropical Storm WASHI / Sendong now heading towards Palawan Tropical Storm WASHI / Sendong left Mindanao after leaving hundreds of dead in the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan. It is approaching […]
- October 5, 2013 The Beasts – in the Philippines Quality electronics are awfully expensive in the Philippines. You can buy cheap gadgets anywhere but if you want something really […]
- August 10, 2013 Tropical Storm UTOR / Labuyo getting stronger During last night Tropical Depression 11W / Labuyo has strengthened and is now a Tropical Storm called UTOR / Labuyo. It continues to move […]