Early this morning at 05:45 AM an earthquake of magnitude 5.6 shook Davao del Sur. Until now 2 aftershocks of magnitudes 2.4 and 3.5 followed. The impact of these quakes is less of physical nature than of psychological shock. Davao del Sur had been heavily hit last week by typhoon BOPHA/Pablo.
These were earthquakes #1216 to #1218 this year in the Philippines.
Since November 22, 2012 the number of volcanic earthquakes at Taal volcano has again increased.
|Taal Volcano’s seismic network recorded 9 volcanic earthquakes on December 8.
Field measurements conducted on December 4, 2012 at the eastern sector of the Main Crater Lake yielded slight decrease in water temperature of 33.1°C from 34.2°C, and decrease in water level of 1.21 meters from 1.30 meters. Ground deformation survey (precise leveling) in the Volcano Island on 02-11 October indicated slight deflation compared with July 2012.
GPS data for the period of February 2011 to October 2012 show no substantial changes in ground deformation recently, although the edifice is still slightly inflated compared to February 2011 baseline data. Carbon dioxide (CO2) emission at the main crater lake increased to 720 tonnes per day on 27 November 2012 compared to 627 tonnes per day last 07 July 2012.
Alert Level 1 remains in effect over Taal Volcano. This means that hazardous eruption is not imminent. The public, however, is reminded that the main crater should be strictly off-limits because sudden steam explosions may occur and high concentrations of toxic gases may accumulate. The northern portion of the main crater rim, in the vicinity of Daang Kastila Trail, may also become hazardous when steam emission along existing fissures suddenly increases.
Here you find more information about Taal volcano
- November 11, 2012 Taal and Mayon volcano slightly nervous We had stopped our status reports of 3 Philippine volcanoes, Mayon, Bulusan and Taal earlier this year, because the 3 volcanoes calmed […]
- May 1, 2012 Good news – only 2 volcanoes with Alert Level 1 In their bulletin from April 24, 2011, PHIVOLCS informs that they lowered Bulusan Volcano’s status from Alert Level 1 (abnormal) to Alert […]
- September 21, 2014 Earthquake swarm hit North Cotabato An Earthquake swarm hit North Cotabato yesterday and this morning. Up to now 21 earthquakes of magnitudes between 2.4 and 5.2 hit the […]
- July 7, 2014 1000 Earthquakes This morning at 03:37 PHIVOLCS recorded the 1000th earthquake this year. The quake happened 7 km north-east of Santa Ana (Cagayan). It had […]
- March 6, 2012 Strong Earthquake in Masbate A 5.2 magnitude earthquake jolted the provinces of Masbate, Albay and Sorsogon this morning at 07:06 morning.
The earthquake of tectonic […]