Skip to content
This morning at 03:37 PHIVOLCS recorded the 1000th earthquake this year. The quake happened 7 km north-east of Santa Ana (Cagayan). It had a weak magnitude of 2.4 and the focus had been 24 km deep.
The Philippines are within the “Pacific Ring of Fire”. Three tectonic plates meet in the Philippines’ underground. The movements of these 3 tectonic plates are the reason for the very frequent earthquakes in the Philippines. We count about 5 earthquakes per day. Most of them are weak and nobody feels them.
This map shows the ten most recent earthquakes inside PAR, the Philippines Area of Responsibility. The diameter of the circles show approximatively the region where the earthquake could be felt. Data is provided by PHIVOLCS.
This map and other information is available here.
- May 19, 2016 1000th Earthquake 2016 in the Philippines The 1000th Earthquake occurred last night at 09:05 PM near Calintaan, Occidental Mindoro. The first 4 months of 2016 we recorded more […]
- May 20, 2015 #WestValleyFault Earthquake Within a few days the hashtag #WestValleyFault spread all over the Philippines. It became so viral that in different forums people were […]
- November 22, 2014 Manila Trench is rocking The Manila Trench is an oceanic trench in the Pacific Ocean, located west of the islands of Luzon and Mindoro. This subduction […]
- November 5, 2014 Shaky night in Bohol – Earthquakes in Catigbian Last night the earth shook in Bohol. One 4.0 Earthquake in Catigbian and 3 aftershocks. Around 10 p.m. we got a message from a friend […]
- September 21, 2014 Earthquake swarm hit North Cotabato An Earthquake swarm hit North Cotabato yesterday and this morning. Up to now 21 earthquakes of magnitudes between 2.4 and 5.2 hit the […]
You may also like...
error: Content is protected !!